Bacopa monnieri Bramhi is known as one of the most important plant species of rich medicinal benefits. It is also known as thyme-leafed gratiola, water hyssop, herb of grace, Indian pennywort. The Botanical name of Bramhi is Bacopa monnieri, and belongs to Family Plantagenet and Genus Bacopa. It is a perennial herb found mostly in India, Australia, Europe, Africa, Asia, North and South America. It is also used in Ayurveda since ancient times. The plant also possesses the property to grow in water, thus also used as an aquarium plant. It is named after Bramha.
The plant is also known by a number of names, according to the location and language. Some of the names are listed below.
ബ്രഹ്മി in Malayalam (Kerala)
(“Brahmi”) Hindi (India)
(Niirpirami)/ Valaarai in Tamil
(Timare) in Kannada
(Phak mi), พรมมิ (Phrommi) in Thai
Lunuwila in Sinhalese (Sri Lanka)
ʻaeʻae in Hawaiian (Hawaii)
Rau Đắng in Vietnamese
פְּשֵטָה שרועה (“psheta sru’a”) in Hebrew
Kleines Fettblatt in German
假马齿苋 (“Jiǎ mǎ chǐ xiàn”) in Simplified Chinese
Bacopa monnieri is a perennial herb with leaves and flowers. The leaves of bramhi posses properties like succulent, oblong, oblanceolate and are arranged oppositely on the stem. The thickness of leaves is about 4–6 mm (0.16–0.24 in). The flowers of bramhi are small and white colored and have four to five petals.
Medical Benefits of Bramhi
Being a medicinal plant it offers a number of medicinal benefits. If the effects of daily stressors are getting the best of you, Bacopa monnieri supplementation may be something to explore. Stress reduction is perhaps brahmi’s most well known, traditional use. A study evaluating brahmi supplementation reported significant mood improvement among participants, as well as decreased levels of cortisol, the stress hormone. This suggests that counteracts the effects of stress by regulating hormones involved with the stress response.
Some Other of the benefits of Bacopa monnieri are listed below.
- It Supports Brain: It promotes regeneration of brain tissues.
- It Promotes Liver Health: Apart from brain Bramhi also helps in maintaining and promoting liver health.
- It Protects from Neonatal Hypoglycemia: Bramhi extracts are very useful in protecting newborn brains from hypoglycemia.
Creates a positive impact on Opioid Dependence: Bacosides present in Bramhi play a major role in enhance the benefits of morphine.
- Helps in curing Redness and Swelling: It play a major role in curing redness and swelling
- It helps in maintaining normal blood pressure: It encourages vascular function thus plays a major role in balancing and maintaining normal blood pressure.
- It posse’s antioxidant properties: It has strong antioxidant properties thus protect from a number of oxidative damages.
- It also promotes antioxidant functions of the body.
Side Effects of Bramhi
- It slow the heart beat
- It is advised not to take bramhi at the time of Pregnancy and breast feeding
- It can cause congestion in intestine
- It can cause ulcers
- It can cause thyroid disorder by increasing the secretion of thyroid secretion
Know more about Bramhi its benefits and side effects after studying the blog.